What NOT to say to someone with an eating disorder
This week is national eating disorder awareness week.
I want to blog about things this week to help spread education and awareness. Eating disorders are very real, very prevelent and very deadly. They also are often hidden, misunderstood and very difficult to treat.
Some things you should NEVER say to someone with an eating disorder:
1. Can't you just eat something ? OR can't you just go on a diet?
2. Don't you know there are people starving in the world?
3. I wish I had your willpower. I need to lose weight.
4. Lucky you, you can eat everything !
5. You're just looking for attention.
6. You just have to be stronger and say no to the desserts.
7. Just don't buy the food.
8. It's so selfish of you to do this to your friends and family.
9. It's not a big deal. It's just Christmas just eat it!
10. Lets go eat our feelings together!
INSTEAD. Try some of these statements:
1. What can I do for you?
2. I'm worried about you.
3. Want to go for a walk or go see a movie?
4. I'm here for you no matter what.
5. I'm worried about you, can I help you find a professional to talk to?
6. I will never judge you. What can I do to help?
7. You are not alone.
8. Lets do something fun not centered around food.
9. You deserve to be happy!
10. You are beautiful.